Round Table Discussion about “Cutting Diplomatic Relations with Qatar: Implications and Future Prospects’’
With the participation of a number of members from the Egyptian Council for Foreign Affairs on Round Table Discussion about “Cutting Diplomatic Relations with Qatar: Implications and Future Prospects’’ ,the Council hosted Ambassador Dr. Mohamed Morsi, Last Egyptian Ambassador in Qatar, to clarify from his experience, the dimensions of Issue, which was headed by Ambassador Dr. Mounir Zahran ,Chairman of the council.
At the beginning, Ambassador Morsi talked about several points :
– Qatar has a special strategy, which its elements had appeared after Sheikh Hamd coup in 1990s on his father. This Strategy based on build relations with majority powers ,hosting extremism Islamic groups and their consultants from different places depending on its huge Financial resources , as well as, it’s closed relation with Iran. Qatari foreign policy is characterized by contradiction due to its desire to hold communication channels with several parties which have different interests.
– In addition, Qatar has created crises in Arab states by intervention in internal affairs through its agents, e.g. Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain, trough played on sectarian tensions, chaos, and changing of regimes.
In this context, which clarified the problem with Qatar is at a standstill, The participations as follows:
– Ambassador Salah Heleima pointed to the utilization of Qatar’s huge capabilities and investments in European states and the United States to affect on decision-making processes in these states.
– Ambassador Dr. Mohamed Badr Al-Dein spoke about Qatar’s adoption of an aggressive policy towards Egypt and Saudi , especially after the two countries status during Sheikh Hamd’ coup over his father in the 90s. He also mentioned to the Turkish-Qatari alliance is supporting Qatari policy and its relations with Muslims Brotherhood and other extremist groups in Libya threatening Egyptian national security.
– Dr. Atef Al-Ghamry told of an incident that took place in the early 90s during his working as areporter in Al-Ahram , that confirmed the relations between Doha regime and Israel and Israel role in this coup. In addition, he confirmed the Qatari role is the agent of US policy in the region and the U. S. would not abandon its agent.
– Ambassador Marwan Badr assured the Qatar’s relationship with Iran is very strong and that there is a conflict among the Gulf States.
– Ambassador Osama Tawfik said that , during Sheikh Hamd’s accession to power in the 90s, with conditional American approval to open the door to Israel to enter the Gulf Region from Qatar gate by opening an Israeli office for commercial representation in Doha, Sheikh Hamd accepted that.
– Ambassador Ihab Wahba confirmed the multi dimensions for the current situation, rejecting Egypt involvement in this crisis in particular Qatar will continued in its policies and practices. He also clarified there are great contradictions inside the American political institutions and its relation with President Trump.
– Ambassador Dr. Ezzat Saad assured the previous participations led us to believe that Egypt’s policies towards the Gulf States and Qatar in particular , represents a challenge especially that Qatar has been able to establish a huge economic basis and its investment in many major states . , so the last measure didn’t have a major effect on it.
– Ambassador Dr. Mounir Zahran asked about the Qatari position in the Palestinian crisis, and its true role in reconciliation, especially after Qatar’s announcement that Hamas is the legitimate representative for the Palestinian people.