Meeting of the Permanent Committee on Arab Affairs to discuss the situations in the Arab Region
In the context of generation of ideas that are expected to be developed for presentation and discussion with Mr. Ahmed Aboul Gheit, Secretary General of the Arab league at the meeting that was scheduled for 22nd of October 2018, the council organized a meeting on 11th October 2018 in presence of experts and specialists on Arab affairs.
A number of ideas have been reviewed as follows:
– Regarding the International and Arab environments, emphasis have been made on the critical and unprecedented period witnessed by the Arab Region, as well as the challenges faced by the Arab world, also the consequences of the American attitude towards the Palestinian issue following the decision of transferring the Embassy to Jerusalem and closure of the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO) Office in Washington as well as the reduction and cutting off of the aids to “UNRWA” and not only that but even staying silent towards the aggressive actions committed by Israel, and moreover the tensions that Saudi relations witness with numerous world powers following the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal khashoggi at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul.
-Challenges facing the Arab League have been reviewed as well as carrying out discussions on the developments that the Arab League requires and the impacts restricting the ability of the Arab league to take positions concerning current Arab issues.
– Also discussing the Regional and Arab attitude within the framework of the Arab-Israeli conflict and role of the Arab League in standing up against and countering Israeli violations.
– The need for a more effective Egyptian policy to counter the failure of some of the Arab powers in taking positions for pacifying the situations in the region.
– The need for beginning a different Arab attitude in dealing with Tehran through providing platforms for a dialogue with Iran and to stop adopting the Anti-Iranian Saudi policy that fuels the sectarian conflicts in the region.
– The necessity for caution regarding the Israeli infiltration in Africa, as such infiltration resulted in African support to Israeli targets and interests in numerous International platforms, that included abstaining from voting on the UN resolution with respect to the International community’s condemnation of the American decision to transfer the American Embassy to Jerusalem.